Sunday, February 8, 2009

A typical school day for the Bakers

Before I became a homeschooler, I always was very curious and often skeptical of the whole process.  So, I would like to share with you all what a typical day for the Baker's looks like.  

9:30-12:30     During the morning hours we all have different tasks.  Micah, Lydia, and Caleb go down to our school room to do Math, Science, English, Word Building, and they have to practice piano at some point during those subjects. They each have their own assignment and I am available as they need help.  Levi during this time is typically taking a bath, listening to a CD,  playing, and most days gets to watching one kid show.  I clean up breakfast, monitor Levi, check in with the kids in the basement to help as needed,  do History with Caleb, grade tests and workout.  

12:30-2:00     We eat lunch, clean up lunch, and play during this time.  If we have errands, they happen here.

2:00     We lay Levi down for his nap.  The rest of us have what we call "re-group" time.  We each go to our rooms and do our devotional time and have just quiet time doing our own thing silently.   The rule is no talking and stay on your bed.  

2:30     Micah, Lydia, Caleb, and myself head down to the school room for Bible.   After Bible, the girls and I do their History.  Caleb either does a round of Wii fitness or does his keyboarding lesson.

3:15ish     This is my personal favorite time of the day.  We all get a snack (just the big kids and me) and sit down in the living room and read our chapter book together.  It is fun, relaxing, and I always have a cup of coffee while reading.   It is lovely.  

3:45ish     Chore time!

That is it!   Not everyday looks exacly the same, but pretty close to this.  On Monday mornings, they have piano lessons with Trent during their morning school and I do grocery shopping with Levi on this morning.  On Tuesdays, we have health right after lunch for about 20 minutes. And on Wednesdays, we attend a gym class at the YMCA at 1:00.  We only do school Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  Our curriculum is a 4 day curriculum.  We are all off on Friday including Trent. 

School at home-it is crazy, but I love it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I love the blog and enjoy the pictures!

Anonymous said...

That is more organized and thorough in coverage than most public school classrooms. When does the enrollment for the 2010-11 Kindergarten begin? And is tuition the price of a cup of afternoon Joe?

Rachel, Bryan, and Corban said...

Sounds awesome Robin. I love how home schooling can get so much more accomplished in less time. You are doing a great job with your kiddos and I really enjoyed this post. I am with Troy . . . . can Corban enroll?

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to read about how a typical school day goes for you! We have been thinking about home schooling eventually, so don't be surprised if I call you to ask some questions. Hope your family is doing well. :)